SLIDER

Gloomy Sunday

Sunday, February 9, 2014



So it's almost noon on another gloomy Sunday in Los Angeles. I'm still in bed, in my cat pajama onesie, trying to think if I can turn this day into something more interesting. I have about 3 hours to do so, because after that I go to my part-time waitressing job. I've been sipping on my tea, trying to get my energy up after a bit of a hectic double shift yesterday. Instead I let my cat sit on my chest, meaning I won't get up again until he does.

I'm pretty tired. After getting home a little after 1am from my job, I still had trouble getting to sleep. My internal alarm is set for 9am, so if I don't get to bed by 2, I'm out of luck for a good night's rest usually. I had planned a post today, but now I'm not so sure I have the energy to put it together. Blogging is hard!

I realized it would be before I started this little venture. Some of my favorite bloggers either blog full time, or work for themselves, so they have time to set their own schedule. Therefore they have the opportunity to make their blogs a part of their permanent schedules. My schedule is at the mercy of my job and it hasn't been easy for me to figure out how to fit blogging in between my other obligations. A lot of bloggers leave helpful tips on how to make blogs interesting, but I haven't come across anyone who remarks on how to make time for blogging. Blogging seems to be a hobby or interest that requires a lot of devotion and/or passion. I have the passion, but I need to find a way to devote and prioritize. I have a boyfriend who I don't live with, I have art projects, and commissions that require a large chunk of time.

I'm sure blogging is a thing that needs time to ease into (though I've seen a few other new bloggers that seem to have gotten a better hang of it than I have!) so I'm hoping my difficulties in timing and dedication will melt away the longer that I'm at this. I have no intentions of giving up, especially not so soon in the game! I just felt a need to muse about the issue. I've always been better at tackling issues once I've gotten them off my chest, rather than leaving them to fester in my mind until I push myself down too far.

I'm beginning to schedule my posts in a planner, but even those get a bit sidetracked at times due to picking up extra shifts, or spending unscheduled days out! For those of you that blog on the side, have you found a routine to manage your time better?

5 comments :

  1. It's hard to be disciplined when you first start. Not every tip will work for you and it will take some time for you to find your own groove. Don't get discouraged, just keep at it and it will find a way to work for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's extra difficult when you are attempting to start up freelance work. In my case...and it sounds like yours, I have a full time job. Then I have MY job. My photography is what I want to blog about it, but first, I have to make time for photography. Which means I have to work my full time job, since I'm not getting paid very much for pictures yet. So when do I have time to blog?? Very rarely. :(

    I'm not overly concerned yet, because I genuinely enjoy it - and it seems like you do too - so I'm sure the rest will fall in place eventually!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I've been doing minimal freelance on and off for years, I've just started wanting to earn more from it so I can make livable earnings while only working part time at my other job. But you're absolutely right! I need time for all my art, for art work, and still keep up with all the other interests I'd like to put into this blog! It's probably got a lot to do with time management, something I've never been great at. I'll have to start setting schedules within day, as well as the monthly schedule I have set up!

      I do enjoy it! I was so excited upon putting up this blog, and the excitement isn't gone yet! It'll work out! For both of us!

      Delete
  3. I see that this post is older, but one of your most recent posts listed it as a "you might like" post, so... (<--- irrelevant...)

    But I thought I might mention that when it comes to blogging, I try to stick to something like 3x / week at least. And planning them out is awesome. But maybe make like... a recurring post. Something that you can stockpile; like.. I do these "music for the weekend" posts every Friday. I always have a few pre-done and scheduled so I don't even have to waste time doing them (especially if I forget / am caught up doing something else.)
    Not sure that it helps, but it's something that has really helped me! :)

    Your art is adorable, btw.

    ReplyDelete