SLIDER

Wednesday Wishlist: Camera Gear Edition

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

I'm not sure if I want to keep Wednesday Wishlist on as a permanent installment, but I do think it's a great tool for me to organize things I want/need in categories! It might be helpful later on if I need to go back and find links to specific things I want.


1. Jo Totes: Rose Black // 2. Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Lens // 3. PLR Optics 58MM Close-Up Macro Filter Set // 4. Manfrotto 190XPROB 3-Section Aluminum Pro Tripod // 5. Jo Totes: Gracie Butterscotch // 6. Neewer Shutter Release Timer Remote Control // 7. Smoke Gray Canvas Camera Bag // 8. Jo Totes: Missy Mint // 9. Green Handmade Leather Camera Bag // 10. Vello FreeWave Wireless Remote Shutter Release // 11. Vello Wireless ShutterBoss Timer Remote // 12. Polka Dot Camera Strap // 13. Folk Style Camera Strap // 14. Oppilas Wireless Shutter Release Remote

I've only recently gotten a DSLR and I still don't really know much about it. I've learned the basic functions for taking decent pictures, but I'm still finding new features everyday. I still feel like I'm just borrowing it from my boyfriend because there's nothing personalized about it. However, I need to wait until my vacation is over to really buy anything for it. I'm dying for a cute strap and a bag! I've been wrapping my camera and lenses up in bubble wrap and putting it in my backpack, which makes me so nervous because who knows what could happen when things aren't properly secured. So far I've been careful and lucky, but I'm really hoping to get a camera bag soon. I'm leaning towards functional, durable and practical, but I need one that also serves as a purse, and I'm a girl with a mom purse. Need a *insert anything under the sun here*? Well I have it in my purse! So I need a bag that serves as a purse to carry my numerous items as well as secures my camera safely!

I honestly would have bought the shutter release or remote already, but I'm at a total loss! I don't know which would be better for me at this point. Kaylah from The Dainty Squid recommended the Neewer shutter release, and her photos are top notch, but I'm not really sure I have the skill or knowledge at the moment to pull off compotent self-portraits with a wired shutter release. However I've also read a lot of reviews about wireless remotes that don't work well at distances or need to be pointed directly at the camera to work well. Once I get around more, I'd love taking pictures from a distance, so I'm not sure that would be ideal for me.
If you're a blogger or photographer that takes a lot of self portraits/outfit pictures, or is just really handy with a shutter release/remote, please feel free to offer any feedback you have with your own tools! I'd love as many opinions as possible before I spend the money. I'd really like to avoid spending it on an item that isn't right for me!

5 comments :

  1. I'd for sure go with Kaylah's recommendation. Neewer has quality tools and pretty sweet prices, and you might as well get something you won't grow out of as you get better. Plus, there are so many YouTube tutorials, mastering it will be a breeze! I don't do a lot of self portraits, but I'm going to be purchasing a Neewer remote set up for my honeymoon. :)

    As far as bags go, you might also want an insert. I needed my camera bag to be my purse too, and I also didn't want to commit to just one bag! So I got a padded insert with nice comfy compartments for my camera body and 3 lenses. It slides right into all my larger bags, with room for all my other stuff left over!

    Also, what lenses do you use? You might already know this, but you really can't beat a 50mm fixed lens for portraits & detail shots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the second opinion! I never want to dive into buying something as far as photography goes just because someone else takes good pictures with it. Kaylah has years of experience behind her so I didn't want to just buy it and then be disappointed. It's good to know Neewer has quality products! Plus, I didn't even THINK of checking out youtube for tutorials! Lol. What a nerd! I'll definitely check it out!

      Inserts might be a good solution as well. It would be easier to switch out my bags whenever I wanted if I could just put an insert in and go!

      So far I only have the 18-55 mm lens and a zoom lens 55-250mm lens. They're what my boyfriend gave me when he gave me the camera. I'm going to get more when I have the funds, but I wanted to start small with some filters and the shutter release. Lenses get to be expensive. I'll definitely check out the 50mm too! Thanks so much for your helpful comment!!!

      Delete
  2. WHOA. I also just saw your tumblr (yeah, I was creepin') and your DragonAge art, and I had to come back to say that you are so, sooooo cool. I am pretty much obsessed with DA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DA is my absolute favorite game series in all of forever. I'm a fairly new gamer (maybe only seriously playing for the last 4-ish years) and Dragon Age was the game that sent me into gaming mode and made me want/need a console! I'm currently replaying DA:O because I lost all of my save files in a damaged hdd transfer, and want to be able to import my DA:O and DA2 files to the upcoming game! (Which I am so giddy for!)

      Haha hopefully this nerd out session didn't undo my cool points. lol

      Delete
    2. Not even close! I didn't even lose my many, many, many save files and I'm replaying it all, again, even Awakening, because I want to have a complete play-through that perfectly matches my head canon to import! My excitement levels for this game are through the roof.

      Delete